Latest News Headlines
On-Air Now
Listen Live
Facebook

Red tides being caused by 'sea sparkle'

Fri, 25 Jul 2014


'Red tides' around the Island are not toxic.

Several reports of the unusual colouring have been made over the last few days - the most recent concerning the coastal waters in Laxey Bay.

Government scientists say the bright orange water is as a result of high concentrations of a microscopic marine alga which is commonly known as 'sea sparkle'.

Although the red tides formed by this species look unusual, and are often mistaken for pollution, they are nontoxic. 

Bookmark and Share