Latest News Headlines
On-Air Now
Listen Live
Facebook

Fire service issues mirror warning

Sat, 24 Sep 2016

Curtains were damage at a home in Castletown because a mirror refracted sunlight onto them.
Curtains were damage at a home in Castletown because a mirror refracted sunlight onto them.

Manx fire crews are warning of the risk posed by mirrors after being called to a property where curtains had been burned.

A Castletown resident contacted the Isle of Man Fire and Rescue Service after discovering the damage with no obvious cause.

A make-up mirror sat on a dressing table caused the sunlight to refract onto the curtains, resulted in the fabric burning.

As a result, officers are urging the Manx public to keep mirrors, glass items and crystal away from sunny window and have smoke detectors fitted on every floor of their home. 

Bookmark and Share