Fire service issues barbecue and garden fire warning

The Isle of Man Fire and Rescue Service is urging the public to be extra cautious when disposing of barbecues and burning garden waste during the current spell of fine weather.

The reminder follows a busy evening for fire crews around the Island last night.

Officers from Peel had to deal with a bin fire at Fenella Beach caused by a single-use barbecue, while teams from Ramsey tackled a large fire in Sulby.

Fire safety officers warn coals from barbecues can stay hot for some time after being extinguished, which can caused fires.

Meanwhile, garden waste fires should never be left unattended, and anyone planning on burning such material should contact the emergency services in advance to avoid unnecessary call outs.