Fire service issues disposable BBQ warning after bin fire

Fire crews are urging those who use disposable barbecues to be careful when throwing them away after being called to a bin fire.

Crews from Douglas were called out over the weekend to a bin fire caused by a barbecue being put in the bin while still hot.

Firefighters say such incidents are often seen during spells of good weather.

The fire service warns single use barbecues remain hot for a good while afterwards and need to be thoroughly checked before they can be disposed of safely.