Fire crews highlight importance of smoke alarms

The Island's fire service is reminding the public of the importance of having working smoke alarms installed following a fire at a home in Douglas.

The blaze started in the basement of the home on Victoria Road in the early hours of Saturday morning, but all occupants were able to get out safely from the second floor after being alerted to the danger by the alarm.

Firefighters needed breathing apparatus to tackle the fire, which started because of an electrical fault beneath a desk in an office and study area.

Fire crews spent around two hours at the scene checking for hot spots to ensure the fire hadn't spread and clearing the property of smoke.