Gas main hit by man digging in garden

The Island's fire and rescue service is urging the public to check before they dig after part of Port Erin had to be evacuated following a gas leak.

The resident ruptured a gas main while digging in his garden yesterday lunchtime, resulting in those who live nearby being moved to safety.

Fire crews and the police were called out to cordon off the area, while Manx Gas engineers managed to stop the leak.

Residents were able to return to their homes around 90 minutes later.

Fire officers want those planning on digging in their garden to get in touch with Manx Gas beforehand to find out if there are gas mains where they're going to work.