Fire service called out after candle starts fire

The Island's fire service is urging the public not to leave candles unattended after being called to an incident at a hotel in Douglas.

Crews were called out shortly before midnight yesterday evening to reports of a blaze in a basement at a hotel on Mona Drive.

The small fire started after some clothing handing on the back of a door was set alight by a candle, but the fire led to extensive smoke logging throughout the communal areas of the building.

One person in the building needed treatment from fire officers for smoke inhalation, before being handed over the parademics.

The fire service is also highlighting the importance of having clear evacuation procedures, as several occupants failed to evacuate once the alarm sounded.