Fire crews tackle kitchen fires in Jurby, Andreas

Fire crews were called to two kitchen blazes in the north of the Island.

Shortly before 11.30 yesterday morning, officers from Ramsey and Kirk Michael attended a fire in Jurby.

The fire caused extensive damage to the kitchen and smoke damage to the rest of the property, having started because of an electrical fault with a fridge freezer.

Just 20 minutes later, the remaining crews from Ramsey and Kirk Michael, as well as officers from Laxey were dispatched to a kitchen fire at The Grosvenor in Andreas.

A fire had broken out of the kitchen through a flat roof, but the teams were able to prevent damage spreading to other parts of the building.

An overheating commercial deep fat fryer was found to be the cause of the fire.

Douglas crews had to provide cover at Ramsey Fire Station while all officers in the north of the Island were committed to the two incidents.