Fire service issues wood-burning stove advice

The Island's fire service is urging Manx residents to ensure their wood burning stoves are installed by a competent person after being called to an incident in Onchan.

Fire crews from Douglas were called out to Governor's Road yesterday evening after a recently-installed stove resulted in a property becoming smoke logged.

Officers extinguished the fire and instructed to owner to obtain certification from an approved installing before using their stove again.

The Fire and Rescue Service warns such stoves and boilers need to be placed on a fire-resistant base, used with dry and well seasoned wood and cleaned at the end of each heating session.

The fire brigade also says it continues to be called to fires caused by logs being stored next to wood burners.