Latest News Headlines
On-Air Now
Listen Live
Facebook

Elderly resident hospitalised following electric blanket fire

Thu, 27 Oct 2011


An elderly resident needed hospital treatment following a fire at a house in Onchan.

It's believed the blaze was caused by an electric blanket in a first floor bedroom in the property on Ridgeway Road.

Fire crews rescued the occupant yesterday evening, and they were taken to hospital suffering with smoke inhalation.

The smoke alarm didn't go off because the batteries had been removed.

Fire officers remained in the area for two hours tackling the fire and damping down the building.

The fire was contained to the bedroom, but there was smoke damage throughout the house.

The fire service is reminding the public to test their smoke alarm weekly, and to have electric blankets tested every two years.

 


Bookmark and Share

 

 

Subscribe to get Energy FM News direct to your mobile device

You can get Energy FM News delivered direct to your mobile device using one of the following methods.

  • In the Apple News App on iOS search for Energy FM IOM and then just add it to your favourites
  • In the Google News & Weather App just search for Energy FM and then add us as a customised section
  • If you use an RSS Reader then just add our feed to your app, click here for our news RSS feed