Latest News Headlines
On-Air Now
Listen Live
Facebook

Cigarette causes fire at elderly person's complex

Wed, 23 Nov 2011


Fire crews are warning the public not to put cigarette ash into a wastepaper bin following a fire at an elderly person's sheltered housing complex in Douglas.

Officers were called to Waverley Terrace in the early hours of yesterday morning.

A bin within a flat on the complex had caught fire after a lit cigarette was placed in the bin.

The fire had been put out before crews arrived, but they remained at the property to clear the smoke and reset the fire alarm.

Fire safety officials advise using a heavy ashtray for cigarette ash, taking extra care if smoking whilst drowsy or after drinking alcohol, and not lighting up whilst in bed.

 


Bookmark and Share

 

 

Subscribe to get Energy FM News direct to your mobile device

You can get Energy FM News delivered direct to your mobile device using one of the following methods.

  • In the Apple News App on iOS search for Energy FM IOM and then just add it to your favourites
  • In the Google News & Weather App just search for Energy FM and then add us as a customised section
  • If you use an RSS Reader then just add our feed to your app, click here for our news RSS feed