Latest News Headlines
On-Air Now
Listen Live
Facebook

Carbon monoxide safety message issued by fire service

Thu, 14 Nov 2019


A carbon monoxide warning has been issued by the IOM Fire and Rescue Service following an incident in Peel in the early hours.
 
Fire crews from Peel and Kirk Michael were called to a smoke filled property at Close Quane at 00:51am.
 
The occupants of the property were awoken by an activated carbon monoxide alarm, which was caused by a faulty cracked glass panel inside a wood burner.
 
Two firefighters wore breathing apparatus to ventilate the property and extinguished the fire, with precautionary medical checks carried out by paramedics on the scene for carbon monoxide poisoning.
 
The IOMFRS have issued the following safety message to residents: 'Carbon monoxide (CO) alarms are an important precaution but they must not be regarded as a substitute for proper installation and maintenance of wood burners or gas appliances by a registered engineer. Before purchasing a CO alarm, always ensure it complies with British Standard EN 50291 and carries a British or European approval mark, such as a Kitemark. CO alarms should be installed, checked and serviced in line with the manufacturer’s instructions.
 
'You can be particularly at risk from CO poisoning when you are asleep, because you may not be aware of early CO symptoms until it is too late. Having an audible CO alarm could wake you and save your life.'

 


 

Subscribe to get Energy FM News direct to your mobile device

You can get Energy FM News delivered direct to your mobile device using one of the following methods.

  • In the Apple News App on iOS search for Energy FM IOM and then just add it to your favourites
  • In the Google News & Weather App just search for Energy FM and then add us as a customised section
  • If you use an RSS Reader then just add our feed to your app, click here for our news RSS feed